On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 00:37:23 UTC-5, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a hash in a controller file which I have to write into a YAML.yml
> file in a particular format.
>
> This is the code I am using in the controller to write to yml file.
>
> "File.open("config/locales/output.yml", "w") {|f|
> f.write(hash_data.to_yaml) }"
>
> output.yml is the yml file.
> hash_data is my hash which has a key having a hash to array of values.
>
> Current output;
> ---
> '01':
> - red
> - green
>

> Expected output:
> en:
>   01: "red, green"

It's certainly possible, but if you want the output YAML to look like that
you're going to need to put the *input* data into the same sort of format.
 For instance, running the expected output (with quotes around 01, to avoid
it being parsed as an integer) through YAML.load gives this Ruby result:

{"en"=>{"01"=>"red, green"}}

--Matt Jones