Hello,

I'm trying to setup the gem environment for my app on prod. Apparently,
I got to know that RVM is not recommended to be used in prod env. So,
I'm doing a non RVM setup.

I'm on Ruby 1.9.3 and Rails 3.0.11.

When I run the "`gem env`" cmd from the terminal I get the below
details. Please note, here it shows my Ruby version as Ruby 1.8.7

    ubuntu@ip:/var/lib/gems$ gem env
    RubyGems Environment:
      - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.8.15
      - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2011-06-30 patchlevel 352) [x86_64-linux]
      - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8
      - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
      - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
      - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
        - ruby
        - x86_64-linux
      - GEM PATHS:
         - /var/lib/gems/1.8
         - /home/ubuntu/.gem/ruby/1.8
      - GEM CONFIGURATION:
         - :update_sources => true
         - :verbose => true
         - :benchmark => false
         - :backtrace => false
         - :bulk_threshold => 1000
      - REMOTE SOURCES:
         - http://rubygems.org/

**Whereas**,

on running "`ruby -v`" from the same terminal window, I get:-

    ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]

Now, when I do a bundle install, I get the error:-

    Gem::InstallError: em-synchrony requires Ruby version >= 1.9.
    An error occurred while installing em-synchrony (0.2.0), and Bundler
cannot continue.
    Make sure that `gem install em-synchrony -v '0.2.0'` succeeds before
bundling.

Now, when I try to install this gem separately using **gem install**, I
face the following roadblock:-

    ubuntu@ip:/var/lib/gems$ gem install em-synchrony -v '0.2.0'
    ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
        You don't have write permissions into the /var/lib/gems/1.8
directory.

    ubuntu@ip:/var/lib/gems$ sudo gem install em-synchrony -v '0.2.0'
    ERROR:  Error installing em-synchrony:
      em-synchrony requires Ruby version >= 1.9.

I know for sure somewhere the Ruby version mismatch as mentioned above,
has something to do with this. But I'm not sure how exactly I can get
over this. Any ideas on what I need to do fix this ?

Thanks