In your first <script> you have an error. You should put $ in front of
('.carousel').carousel(), like this: $('.carousel').carousel();
in jQuery "$" is an alias for "jQuery", these two lines will do the same
thing:
1) $('.carousel').carousel();
2) jQuery('.carousel').carousel();

Usually in jQuery you will use only $. But if you have other javascript
framework included in page which has a special meaning for $, then you
should use "jQuery." instead of "$." to avoid conflicts with the other
framework.

Martin