On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Linus Pettersson
<linus.petters...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a model which has a field that can have three values only. I store
> the value in the database as an integer, 0, 1 or 2, but when I display it I
> want a more appropriate text. And, I want it to be translatable using i18n.
>
> Let's say that it corresponds to how difficult something is. So, 0
> represents "Easy", 1 represents "Normal" and 2 represents "Hard".
> What I did was first to define it as a hash like this:
> DIFFICULTIES = { "Easy" => 0, "Normal" => 1, "Hard" => 2 }
> Then I can easily pass this to, for instance, simple_form and it will
> generate a nice dropdown with the correct values.
>
> But let's say that I have the value and want to display the text. Then I'd
> have to iterate over the hash to find which key corresponds to the right
> value. Right? Not that big of an issue when there are three values as in
> this example, but there could be more.
>
> How do you normally handle these cases? Is there any "best practice" to
> handle this in an efficient manner?

Not quite sure if I understand this entirely, but you're looking to be
able to output the associated text in some place *other* than
simple_form? (i.e., when you're displaying the record?)

Seems like it should be straight-forward to map them to values in your
locale file. no?

en:
  difficulties:
    0: Easy
    1: Normal
    2: Hard

then just invoke:

  t 'difficulties.#{difficulty}'

where you want to display it? And maybe use this to build the Hash for
simple_form to begin with?