On Dec 19, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Corey Murphy wrote:
> Rob Biedenharn wrote:
>> However, it looks like your input is CSV so why not let a CSV library
>> do the heavy-lifting for you:
>
> Primarily because this is a budget application I'm writing and the
> data
> coming from Accounts Payable (.csv files) need to be read in and then
> massaged some before moving it into the database.  A lot of the
> massaging relates to categorizing transactions and associating other
> information with a record that isn't a part of the original input
> file.
> So, I'm manually parsing this data into an array for active record
> column attribute assignment and the like.
>
> Unless fasterCSV reads a file in for me and give me the data in an
> array
> I can use in my model or controller for further processing, it doesn't
> fit my needs.  So forgive my ignorance if it does do this and I'm
> simply
> not aware.  However, if it does, then woohoo and I'll be pulling down
> the gem pronto.

Then start now!

gem install fastercsv

I was just using one of the lower-level methods to parse your input
line.  I'll let you read the docs[1] for yourself, but it will read
the file and give the data back to you as an array or a hash (you
choose).  You can configure whether there are first-row headers, too.

-Rob

[1]  http://fastercsv.rubyforge.org/

Rob Biedenharn          http://agileconsultingllc.com
r...@agileconsultingllc.com