On Friday, March 1, 2013 10:02:05 PM UTC, Leo Dirac wrote:
> The Ruby on Rails Security Guide http://guides.rubyonrails.org/security.html
> has a fairly embarrassing anachronism in it.  In section 2.2 on Session ids
> it reads
>

> To date MD5 is uncompromised, but there have been collisions, so it is
> theoretically possible to create another input text with the same hash value.
>

> Security experts know that MD5 is at this point deeply flawed and
> untrustworthy for any cryptographic purpose.  While I believe this
> reassurance in the guide was true as of the time of writing, it is now
> several years out of date and simply incorrect.
>
> Fortunately, rails no longer actually relies on MD5 for session ids, I
> believe since this commit in 2008.
>
> I have tried a couple of times to contact Heiko Webers, at 42 {_et_}
> rorsecurity.info, requesting that he update the document.  But I have gotten
> zero response from him since I first tried over 6 months ago.  Can somebody
> please step up and update this document to reflect the current reality?  I'd
> also recommend changing the note at the top about who is the current
> maintainer of this document.

With the default cookie store the cookie value is the session data so what
becomes important is the cookie signing which I believe is a sha1 hmac by
default)
The rails guides (and all the docs in general) are managed via
https://github.com/lifo/docrails

Open a pull request there and someone from the docs team will review it (and
then generally give you commit rights). Docrails and rails itself are then
synced periodically.

Fred.