You're right, you can't upload files on Heroku servers but it doesn't mean
you can't use Heroku for your kind of project.

Just follow this tutorial to upload directly to
S3 https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/paperclip-s3.

I have been using it for about a years and it works perfect fine. And now,
I even think it's better than storing file on my servers.

Cheers