Hi Michael,
I think the problem may be with the hardware being too new.  Some lap tops
have good comparability with mainstream linux distros.

I had better success with older hardware and although they run slow under
windows (which is by design by M$) they run quite fast under linux.

For example Lubuntu 12.04 installs without problem on a Lenovo 3000 N100.
With rvm and RubyMine I can run multiple versions of ruby and rails.