> ----
> We use puppet instead of chef. Puppet has a higher barrier to entry
> (slower ramp up time) but pays off with more control.

That sounds cool, i don't mind learning puppet instead of chef, it i
understand the benefits of it ( i'll read a bit more about that ).

> We would never put any application specific configuration in capistrano -
> only puppet. While the slideshare discusses that troubleshooting is easier
> in capistrano than in chef (and obviously puppet),

i heard that more than once..

> it's much cleaner to keep the server setup and configuration in puppet and
> the do web application deployment in capistrano.

cool, maybe for now i just need to get into Capistrano, cause am not
spinning a lot of servers, its just my first one, and the worst for me now
is the app deployment ( i.e. copying database / source from staging to
production, restarting servers if needed, etcs.

Am using unicorn + rails + mongodb, if you have any advice is more than
welcome ( :

> We also maintain users and groups (and hosts) in LDAP rather than using
> the puppet built-in user/group management which allows host based access
> control and access to services other than shell logins.

cool.

> It's all good though - welcome to the DevOps world

thank you ( :