what i usually do is adding autoload_path.

in config/application.rb, i append

    config.autoload_paths += %W(#{Rails.root}/lib/validators)

then i put generic validators such as EmailValidator into lib/validators
directory

after that, all i need is

class SomeModel < ActiveRecord::Base
  validates :email, :email => true