On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Unix R. <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> tamouse mailing lists wrote in post #1108475:
>> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Unix R. <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>> any guide and example will really appreciate and help me to learn.
>> I guess my first question is: if you don't know how or why'd you'd use
>> something in a Rails application, why are you trying to make it work?
>> What is your use case for using this gem in relationship to the rest
>> of your Rails application? Is this something you plan on exposing to
>> the users of your application? Is this something that you want to
>> persist in your application? etc.etc.etc.
>>
>> I wouldn't actually think generating Rails scaffolding in your
>> application would be of any use in working with the Pulp API; such
>> things are rather orthogonal. Tell us more about what you're actually
>> trying to do, what you expect your application to do with the
>> information, and how your app's users would interact with such
>> information.
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, i also thought that generating scaffolding will not help me .. this
> is what my plan is ..
>
> -- Pulp is only command line application .. that has mongodb database
> i am trying to create GUI, there are nice API available to do all CRUD
> operation .. and i want to use those in my GUI application ..
>
> -- though i want to create my own database for storing information and
> then call API to do Pulp task .
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGREST-Packages
>
> this is the API link ..
>
> for example to Create .. i want to create form ..which takes all values
> from user and then store that values in mysql DB and then call pulp
> using API to complete pulp task.

Okay, cool, I can see now what you are thinking of.

Starting out, I'd make a module, gem, engine, whatever you choose,
that just allows you to test out the API; keeping it in it's own space
will help keep your application modular; you should consider the Pulp
service and your API wrapper to be a separate service from the rest of
your app, which it is. You don't need to worry about database models
at this point unless they help you test your wrapper, and views can be
very rudimentary (even displaying just structured JSON might be
enough).

If, as you say, Pulp has the data base store, you don't need to
replicated it in your application, merely interact with the Pulp to
store and retrieve info.

However, if that *is* the case, and all you are doing is packaging up
requests from a client, forming a Pulp API call, then doing something
back to the user with the results, why not go with something like
Sinatra, or another light-weight stack?