When I ran cap deploy:setup, the following actually installed rvm,
ruby and the online_store gemset on my staging server:

set :rvm_ruby_string, 'ruby-1.9.3-p0@online_store'
set :rvm_autolibs_flag, "read-only"

set :rvm_type, :system
set :rvm_install_with_sudo, true

before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:install_rvm'   # install RVM
before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:install_ruby'  # install Ruby and create
gemset, OR:
before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:create_gemset' # only create gemset

Now that's what you would expect. However, I already had rvm, ruby
installed on my server, and all I wanted installed was the gemset
called online_store. So why was this unable to detect that rvm and
ruby was already installed?