It important to keep in mind that the episode is focused on PayPal
notifications, not describing a fully fleshed out e-commerce domain model.
Spree[1] provides a better example of a fully implemented domain model. In
Spree, the concept of a 'cart' is implemented using a current order. When
an item is added to the 'cart', it's actually added to the current order in
progress. I guess it's not that different from the RailsCast example, where
cart == order. In the past, when developing custom commerce platforms I
have tried it both ways: creating a cart and then migrating it to an order
when purchased; and just working with an order throughout. Using one domain
model, order with lifecycle states, is a lot simpler.

[1] http://www.spreecommerce.com