HAii.. sorry my English is very bad
I don't what you want... but I have idea
why do u not use 3 model / 3 table?

table job
 id

table join_job_step
 job_id
 step_id

table step
 id

this is "has_many_and_belongs_to" (same), but Don't use
"has_many_and_belongs_to".
Model:
* job
   has_many :join_job_steps

* join_job_step
   belongs_to :job

* step
   has_may :join_job_steps

So, when u create job or step, u don't need step_id or job_id.. And if u
want make relation, just create join_job_step.

May be it can help u...
Thank you

--
Wu You Duan(Anton effendi)