On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM, John Merlino <stoici...@aol.com> wrote:
> I was using this code
>
>         url = "http://#{agent_host}:#{agent_port}/home/create_unit?";
>

> And it worked fine in development but for my config.yml, I was
> specifying localhost for agent_host. However in production, agent_host
> is an actual ip address and it just wouldn't work. So I had to
> explicitly put the ip address in production:
>
>         url = "http://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx/home/create_unit?";
>
> This is what that config file had:
>
> agent_development:
>   host: localhost
>   port: 3001
> agent_production:
>   host: xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
>   port: 80
> agent_staging:
>   host: xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
>   port: 80
>
> where the x's are replaced with actual numeric values that represent
> ip address.
>
> How does the yaml interpret that ip address? As a decimal value? I'm
> not sure why when I substitute it into the string interpolation, that
> it doesn't in production.

I don't think it's a YAML problem. Show us the code where you go from
your YAML configuration to instantiating agent_host and agent_port in
the url assignment:

    >         url = "http://#{agent_host}:#{agent_port}/home/create_unit?";

BTW, I think you'd might be better off constructing the url via the
URI library. It makes things a bit less error prone and can do nice
things like check the validity of the url syntax and such.