On Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:47:44 AM UTC-4, Tim Escher wrote:

> Stepping through the Hartl Rails 3 Tutorial from the 2nd edition book hot
> off the presses. Modified the Gemfile *exactly* as specified in the book,
> immediately got version issues:
>
> Could not find gem 'jquery-rails (= 2.0.0) x86-mingw32', etc., etc.
>
> Tried removing the version spec from various gems, but it was like peeling
> an onion - other stuff would start failing.
>
> Running Win 7 for Rails.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Something's a little off.  Your message indicates that version 2.0.0 of
jquery-rails is missing.  The 2nd edition of the Rails Tutorial uses
version 2.0.2, not 2.0.0.  If you have 2.0.2 in your gemfile, It is
possible that one of the other gems is requiring 2.0.0 as a dependency.

If that's the case, I would force the install of version 2.0.0 as follows:

gem install jquery-rails --version '2.0.0'

It is very important that you use the version of the gems specified in the
book.  In particular, if you do not use the same version of rspec and
capybara as the book does, you will have real problems.  FYI, the full
source code of the application you will be building in the tutorial (which
includes the gemfile) is available at:

github/railstutorial/sample_app_2nd_ed