On 11 July 2013 06:55, Peter <pe...@poproj.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Do I edit the corresponding migration also to show the belongs_to (and the
> has_many)? I have a many to many relationship where I am using the "has_many
> :through" association. When I place in the individual classes the 'has_many
> :through' and the 'belongs_to' associations, do I also edit the
> corresponding migrations to reflect those changes?

No, there is no need to change the existing migrations.  The
relationship declarations (has_many and so on) have not direct effect
on the database contents, they just tell Rails what to expect in the
database.

> I would like those changes to be reflected in the database also, but I don't
> know whether there was a way to run one of the migration generator commands
> that would have included these associations.
>
> Also, I have already run the migration so is there a way to create a new
> migration that would simply add these associations? I would prefer not to
> edit existing migrations.

Whenever you make a change to the database use a new migration.  You
will just get yourself (and likely the database) very confused if you
try to add to an existing migration.

> Thank you in advance for the advice. I'm very new to Rails and am just
> learning it with a toy application I'm building.

Work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is
free to use online) before starting you own experiments.  That will
show you the basics of Rails.

Colin