Well my ideal situation would be Nginx with puma on the vps. However I
couldn't get nginx to recognize the vhosts based on the blog articles I
followed as examples, so I went to Apache/Passenger, but too slow. Then
Apache/Puma, much faster.

Thanks for your responses, can you point me to any article or instructions
on how to get it setup with Nginx and Puma with a way for Puma to auto
start when Nginx starts.

I have some legacy coldfusion apps to move off a windows host, but I think
I'll just put them on a separate vps and keep the Rails apps on its own
vps. The benchmarks seem to indicate Puma as being lightest/fastest at this
time, it was a v noticeable diff between Passenger and Puma.