I would recommend you to at least learn the basics and be able to make a
decent pages. These days very good CSS frameworks are available which
make it simple for developers to pick up CSS and UI. As Dave suggested it
will be very good to be familiar and have a decent level knowledege of
javascript,css,html,devops deployment.