As you know, the correct database name, username, and password in
config/database.yml are needed for a Rails site to work.  I understand that
the elegant way to provide these parameters is to use the Chef tool.
However, I can't figure out how to do this.  I'll explain the solution I'm
using instead:
1.  I have an Rails site called Bargain Stock Funds
(http://www.bargainstockfunds.com).  The source code is at
https://github.com/jhsu802701/bsf .
2.  The config directory of my site's source code has a
database.yml.template file instead of a database.yml file.  The database
name is stored in the settings/db_name.txt file.  The config/update.rb file
copies the config/database.yml.template file to config/database.yml and
then uses my bsf_scrape Ruby gem to provide the database name, username,
and password.
3.  The source code of my bsf_scrape gem is at
https://github.com/jhsu802701/bsf_scrape .  This uses my database_params
Ruby gem (https://github.com/jhsu802701/database_params) to record the
database name and read the database name, username, and password.  In the
development environment, the database username is the same as the UNIX
system username, and there is no password.  In the production environment,
the database username and password are stored in files outside the source
code.

I realize that many of you probably consider my database management
solution to be crude.  (Believe it or not, it was even cruder without the
use of my database_params and string_in_file Ruby gems.)  However, the
documentation for Chef is so complicated, the the examples I've read sound
like they're for much more complicated setups than what I have.

Can someone shed some light on how I can transition my app to use Chef?  I
can't do away with something crude that works until I have a viable
replacement.