IPE was one of the many fine "gee-whiz" features that I remember attracted me
to Rails in the first place (somewhere in the middle 1.x years). Here's the
JavaScript side from Scriptaculous:
http://madrobby.github.io/scriptaculous/ajax-inplaceeditor/ and here's the Ruby
gem: https://rubygems.org/gems/in_place_editing

Note that there may be some assembly required, there was a break in this
feature when protect_from_forgery was added to  Rails.

Walter