Some thoughts.

Macs do cost more than the alternative but I've found them to be well worth
the cost difference. I have never been comfortable with what passes for
(hardware or software) support on the PC side of the computiverse. That
said, Linux and the rest of the open software world make a very solid
development base if you can puzzle out a stable hardware base.

I've packed my MBP across the country on the back of a motorcycle more than
once and it just works. It was new in 2010 and has always had the most
current (developer) release of software installed.

I would buy new - I'm still using an iMac from 2004. It's PowerPC based and
doesn't run the latest version of anything but Firefox. Still works great
for music and movies though. If you buy an old machine it will be eclipsed
by the software long before you'ld like.

I would also invest in a Mac developer's license - it's worth the cost to
be close to the Apple development community.

Rick