Hi Steve:

Try the following:

<% Category.order("id DESC).each do |category| %>

rather than Category.all ...

See http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_querying.html#ordering

Don Ziesig

On 03/04/2014 12:04 PM, Steven Cahill wrote:
Thanks Rick

on the actual categories page the categories are listed in category_id order correctly, I have the following code in my controller

  # GET /categories
  # GET /categories.json
  def index
    @categories = Category.order('id asc')
  end

The only problem is the navigation list that I have put into the application layout page seems to have a mind of its own, here is the code for

<li class="link"><% Category.all.each do |category| %>
<%= link_to category.name, category_path(category), :order => ('id desc') %>
<% end %></li>
        </ul>
    </nav>
it just displays the list in a random order.