So I'm working on creating a migration for a new version of one of the
projects I'm working on. But Rake seems to be selectively spitting out
errors. The same code that works only a few lines up will not work
where I most need it. (That should be a law of programming...)

So here's what's up. I've got a table that stores information on the
roles that users can have. There are four columns: id, name,
parent_id, and list_priority. The big key feature that I'm
implementing in this release is the concept of permission inheritance
across roles. So, what I've done for some roles is the following:

    puts '   -> Remove developer permissions collection'
    @developerRole.permissions.delete_all
    puts '   -> Set developer parent and list_priority'
    @developerRole.update_attributes(:parent_id =>
@officerRole.id, :list_priority => 5)

The migration handles that fine. However it throws an error on:

    @serviceChair = Role.create :name => 'Service Chair'
    @serviceChair.update_attributes(:parent_id =>
@brotherRole.id, :list_priority => 3)
    @serviceChair.permissions << @op_login
    @serviceChair.permissions << @op_service_fundraising

The rake error reads as follows:

rake aborted!
undefined method `list_priority=' for #<Role id: 5, name: "Service
Chair">

And, if I remove list_priority from the update_attributes method in
the second code segment, it will throw a similar error about
parent_id. Could anyone tell me what the heck is going on here? I'm
about at the end of my wits trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.