On Thursday, 17 April 2014 15:42:23 UTC-4, Juan GutiƩrrez Ortega wrote:

> For this slide and article:
>
> https://engineering.groupon.com/2013/misc/i-tier-dismantling-the-monoliths/
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/pcalcado/from-a-monolithic-ruby-on-rails-app-to-the-jvm
>
> - Any coment please, any experience?,
> - Rails or not Rails for a Social network?

I think if you're planning to build a social network starting today,
*scaling* to millions of users is the least of your problems. *Getting*
users, and even more so *keeping* and *monetizing* said users are what you
need to worry about when starting out.  It's like deciding you want to open
a restaurant and then immediately focusing on picking out a soccer stadium
for all your customers to sit in.

SOA is not a silver bullet - and if you're just starting out and learning
what your customers want, it may just be a regular bullet pointed at your
foot. You'll notice there are very few "we started out with SOA" success
stories but a lot of "we started out monolithic, got masses of customers,
and then refactored to SOA" ones. The reason (I suspect) is that
SOA-up-front imposes serious costs (deployment is complicated, debugging is
complicated, performance tuning is complicated) and makes changes difficult
- if you're building from scratch and it turns out the "services" you
divided the code into don't really make sense, you're in for a lot of
rewriting...

--Matt Jones