Walter...thanks for your responses!

Do I not already have that here:

myPlayer.addEventListener('loadeddata', function(){...

??

For the record the javascript that i have written there works great
within its own flatfile.  I just can't get it to render within rails so
I know the code works...

here is my view:

 <!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>Video.js | HTML5 Video Player</title>
    <link href="video-js.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

  </head>

  <video id="example_video_1" class="video-js vjs-default-skin" controls
preload="auto" width="640" height="264"
         poster="http://video-js.zencoder.com/oceans-clip.png";
         data-setup="{}">

    <source src="/assets/test-meeting.m4v" type='video/mp4' />
  </video>

  <% javascript_include_tag "play_time" %>

and here is my play_time.js:

var endtime = 10505.89+10;
myPlayer= document.getElementById('example_video_1');
myPlayer.addEventListener('loadeddata', function(){
    example_video_1.currentTime = 10505.89;
    example_video_1.play();
    myPlayer.addEventListener('timeupdate', function(){
    if (example_video_1.currentTime >= endtime) {
    example_video_1.pause();
    }

}, false);

}, false);

The video does show up and I can make it play, but this js is supposed
to make it play from that specific time.