I work on an app with Geolocation and we store places in our database (Postgres
with Postgis extension) and keep the corresponding Google ID in our database
along with the coordinates of the place.

Making external calls from your web server to Google API mid-requrest (which
isn't necessarily what you asked for) doesn't sound like a scalable solution to
me, you really want that stuff in your DB for it to be performant.

The Google map solution where you call up a Google map and somehow interact
with it client-side (via javascript) sounds promising, but yes involves a fair
amount of Google API footwork to make that work.

FWIW, I've been working with Postgres with Postgis extension (specifically
using rgeo/activerecord-postgis-adapter). Although I do find the technology
powerful, I find the documentation to be weak and ultimately have found it
frustrating to use.

-Jason