I used rails generate scaffold for part of my application, and this
looks fine so far. Now I would like to change a style for the <a>
element, which happens to be defined in scaffold.css.scss.  I don't want
to touch the generated file, so I place the definition into my own file.
I have one (rkanren.css.scss) which has CSS definitions which are used
project wide.

Testing the page, I see that my style change is not honoured. Using the
"inspect" function of Google Chrome, I indeed see that the definition in
scaffold.css overrides mine (although both are specific in giving a
style to, say, a:visited).

Next, I tried to place my scss file explicitly in the load order, for
example:

 *= require rkanren
 *= require_tree .
 *= require_self

But to no effect. I tried the other 5 permutations of this sequence too,
but Chrome always shows that my definition is masked.

What did I do wrong?

I am using Rails 4.1.1.