I'm new to Rails and I'm trying to understand the code created by
generate scaffold.  I'm using Rails 2.2.2.

$ ./script/generate scaffold Task description:string

generated the following code in app/controller/tasks_controller.rb

class TasksController < ApplicationController
  # GET /tasks
  # GET /tasks.xml
  def index
    @tasks = Task.find(:all)

    respond_to do |format|
      format.html # index.html.erb
      format.xml  { render :xml => @tasks }

  # GET /tasks/1
  # GET /tasks/1.xml
  def show
    @task = Task.find(params[:id])

    respond_to do |format|
      format.html # show.html.erb
      format.xml  { render :xml => @task }

  # GET /tasks/new
  # GET /tasks/new.xml
  def new
    @task = Task.new

    respond_to do |format|
      format.html # new.html.erb
      format.xml  { render :xml => @task }

  # GET /tasks/1/edit
  def edit
    @task = Task.find(params[:id])
  end

I noticed that the edit method is missing some code.  If I remove those
same lines from each of the methods above.  The code still works, why?

I couldn't find ApplicationController in the API docs at
http://api.rubyonrails.org/ ... I figured the behavior must be defined
in the super class, but I can't seem to find the code for it either.

Can someone point me in the right direction to illuminate this mystery?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

http://www.ultrasaurus.com/code (where I'm keeping a journal of my
learning Rails so far)