On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Paul <p...@nines.org> wrote:
> I'm getting a 500 error on my website that obviously comes from a bot. I'd
> like to duplicate that error so that I can try to suppress the email message
> that gets sent to me.
>
> The error contains:
>  (ArgumentError) "invalid %-encoding
>
> It's in a "show" action, so it's a GET command. I can see the URL and that
> URL doesn't contain any strange characters. When I put that URL in a browser
> everything works.
>
> I notice, in the error message I receive, there is a bunch of non-ascii
> text, and embedded in it is "Network Solutions Certificate Authority".
>
> There is no indication that I can see of how that info is being sent. Is
> that in a cookie? Is there any other mechanism that a client can sent info
> to the server?

I've been seeing a lot of these lately, all from this user-agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; EasouSpider; +http://www.easou.com/search/spider.html)
from the following IP:183.60.214.126 (China Telecom block)

The problem is it's a GET request with a content-body, which is not
strictly prohibited by the RFCs, but not technically supported either.

If your exception notifier provides it, look at the value of
'rack.request.form_vars'
where you'll see what appears to be a binary cert file's contents.

Regardless, it seems like this spider is either seriously broken, or
actively hostile. I'm thinking about a Rack filter to drop any GET
request with a content-length header or a non-empty body, but the
quickest fix is to use iptables to block this thing altogether  :-)

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder