For now we seem to worked around this problem by specifying the following code
in a cucumber support file:

require 'minitest/autorun'
require 'test/unit/assertions'

World( Test::Unit::Assertions )

  require 'minitest'
  module Minitest
    attr_accessor :assertions
  end

At least, things are no longer blowing up as soon as the feature run starts.
It is yet to be determined whether this is a real fix as we have run into some
other issues with AR-4.1 vis a vis code that runs fine with AR-4.0.

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3