I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to reproduce it locally.

"Would be interesting to see what cookies the browser thinks it is storing
for your domain."
I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I have been able to decode each cookie
and see the contents.  One is just the old cookie data, and one is the new.

Do you know of any way to check the path associated with a cookie string?