Database constraints are extremely valuable - it's the only way to
guarantee certain conditions (especially uniqueness).

Have you tried increasing logging level, and checking logs for what
queries are actually performed?
You can also run `rake db:schema:dump` (or even db:structure:dump) on
the production to get production database schema and verify it.
Maybe loading dump of the production database locally (if that's
possible for you - privacy, etc.) can help you debug those issues.

Michal