We've used pusher.com in production for 2+ years with no issues. Pubnub is
an option as well, but their packet size restrictions were/are(?) too small
for us. Both have clean APIs, need no extra stuff (e.g. Redis), give nice
stats, etc. Looking at ActionController::Live, the main diff seems to be
whether you maintain and scale the functionality or someone else does it
for you through a simple API and $20/month.

-Chris