I am not sure I understand your question, but how does the headers hash
look like? maybe if you show me the result will be easier to understand the
mistake!

Also gives a concrete example of which headers you trying to set.

I have always done curl requests like this:

curl -i --header "Accept: application/json" --header "Content-Type:
application/json"

the -i option from the manual:

 -i, --include
              (HTTP) Include the HTTP-header in the output. The HTTP-header
includes  things  like  server-
              name, date of the document, HTTP-version and more...

so you can see the answer to your curl call.