Rails itself is tested in Minitest.

I found recently that when I wanted to write a Gem that interacted with parts
of Rails, Minitest was easier because I could go off the Rails minitest
examples.

Most large production apps I’ve worked on are tested in Rspec, which is by far
the popular choice. I do find that over-use of “declarative-style” testing to
be difficult to read. (I.e., when so many things are defined with “let”
statements that you have to reverse engineer 6 methods just to figure out what
calls what). Having said that, some people really like the declarative style of
Rspec.

-Jason

> On Nov 21, 2014, at 6:14 AM, Matt Jones <al2o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, 20 November 2014 14:13:55 UTC-5, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try again to learn ruby and Im following now "Agile Web development in
> Rails 4"
>
> I see that the author uses minitest to test models.
>
> Is there any reason to use minitest  instead of Rspec to test models and
> controllers.
>

> Both tools will do the job, but my guess is that minitest was selected for
> this because it is simpler to explain to new developers. In other words, the
> expressive DSL that makes rspec nice to use after you know what's going on
> can also be confusing to people who've never encountered it before.
>
> --Matt Jones

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/6bb57d78-1722-42eb-a32d-1fec09fc5489%40googlegroups.com
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/6bb57d78-1722-42eb-a32d-1fec09fc5489%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

----

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
t...@datatravels.com
http://www.jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/writing

All material © Jason Fleetwood-Boldt 2014. Public conversations may be turned
into blog posts (original poster information will be made anonymous). Email
ja...@datatravels.com with questions/concerns about this.