Unless you hire a full-time sysadmin, I would recommend against EngineYard or
any DIY-style hosting platform

"Amazon rebooted our servers and our app didn't come back online" -- you really
got to take a step back and think about the implications of that statement in a
broader context. (Why do you have servers that don't come back online when
rebooted, if your system is so brittle why don't you have a dedicated resource
whose job it is to keep the server running all the time.)

Not to be condescending, but this is why so many of us like Heroku as an
alternative.

After having used them quite a bit last year, I would not recommend EY to an
company that didn't have a full-time sysadmin person who was available for
constantly monitoring the servers.

> On Jan 5, 2015, at 4:44 AM, JobOffer <privacydoesnotexi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> thanks for all your help. We have solved the problem
> Have a good day
>
> On Friday, January 2, 2015 10:24:41 AM UTC-8, JobOffer wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> Sorry for posting to such a wide audience, but we are really in a rush and
> need urgent help. We’re looking for a Rails developer with experience
> deploying to Engine Yard who can help with an urgent issue regarding one of
> our applications. Today, Amazon rebooted some of our instances during
> maintenance, and the servers have failed to come back up correctly.
>
> We need someone who can dig in, quickly figure out what’s wrong, and fix it
> ASAP. I believe the problems may stem from one or more of the following:
> - A connection problem between the application and database instances
> - Outdated configuration files (we haven’t updated these since February, and
> perhaps EngineYard has changed in some way)
> - The Rails app using outdated gems
> - The Rails app using an outdated version of Ruby or Rails
>
> At a minimum, I would like you to fix the immediate problem, whatever it may
> be. Subsequent to that, it would also be good for you to stay on and see if
> the server can be better configured to prevent such problems in the future.
>
> Please get back to me ASAP.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Martha

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/9232f60e-083b-4b9d-8f40-1668d91132d6%40googlegroups.com
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/9232f60e-083b-4b9d-8f40-1668d91132d6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

----

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
t...@datatravels.com
http://www.jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/writing

All material © Jason Fleetwood-Boldt 2014. Public conversations may be turned
into blog posts (original poster information will be made anonymous). Email
ja...@datatravels.com with questions/concerns about this.