Hi Folks,

I think I need to understand this fundamental architectural question. I
don't know if it is a Ruby question or a Rails question, or a Ruby on Rails
question.

Clearly I have multiple versions. Clearly I am supposed to have multiple
versions. Clearly there is an accommodation for multiple versions. Clearly
I don't understand how this accommodation works.

Apparently, there are the "system" gems, and there are "bundle" gems, which
are apparently controlled by my application. Presumable my application is
always going to want to run in the context of the assembled gems collected
for the purposes of the application. So, my first question is, how is this
accomplished? Simple path search order?

For whatever reason, different versions are being selected in different
contexts. I don't know enough about how Ruby or Rails does things to
understand this, but I have a simple example:

*$ rake time:zones:local*
rake aborted!
You have already activated rake 10.0.4, but your Gemfile requires rake
10.3.2. Prepending `bundle exec` to your command may solve this.
/var/www/vhost/todo.tryx.org/tracks/config/boot.rb:6:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/vhost/todo.tryx.org/tracks/config/application.rb:1:in `<top
(required)>'
/var/www/vhost/todo.tryx.org/tracks/Rakefile:5:in `<top (required)>'
*$ bundle exec rake time:zones:local*

* UTC -08:00 *
Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Tijuana

Isn't there some way to declare that the bundle context should be the
default? In my case, I am running the Ruby on Rails application through
Passenger, so I need to declare, "Use the bundle context" as the default. If
somebody could point me in the direction of a manual that explains why all
this works the way it does, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.