I've been working on this more and in the console I can copy from one Pin
record and save a new pin like this:

r = Pin.new
r.image = Pin.find(83).image
r.save

I think the issue is that the new pin form requires that an image is chosen
from the user's PC before saving the pin. Whatever that function of
Paperclip is, I think that is where I'm getting stuck.