I have an interesting use case for Rails and I would greatly appreciate
this community's opinion on the matter.
I'm curious if it's possible to build a Rails app that can accomplish the
following:

Environment stipulations

* Must run on the JVM so JRuby.
* The app will not have internet access in production. (We still have build
servers that can package gems)

Ideal functionality

* The main Rails app should be able to support a variable amount of engines.
    * I have played with this and it can be done by tweaking the Gemfile to
load the engines.
    * Downside is we now have to disregard the Gemfile.lock to accommodate
additional engines being added at any time.
* Engines should be drop-in ready.
    * The engines should come packaged with all the gems they need to run.
* There should be no additional installing steps after dropping in an
engine.
    * That means no 'bundle install' or anything else.

So my major concern at the moment is with the gems. When I drop in an
engine and restart the server is there a way bundler can pick up the
packaged gems within the engine without any install step? Maybe playing
with the GEM_PATH or something? Anyway I would like to hear your opinions
and see if we can figure something out. Thanks for checking this out!