To be honest, I use System Ruby + Bundler. Thanks to BrightBox PPA! This
forces me to ensure that all my Ruby projects are using the latest (well, I
say latest but still using 2.1.5 for everything), and is the easiest. I
think it also makes debugging easier as it eliminates a certain class of
problems.

Server infrastructure is managed via Puppet, so it's just a tweak to a
manifest and off we go.

I do recognise that this is probably unsuitable for consultants or people
managing a large number of projects that must use older versions. But I've
found 2.1 to be more or less a drop-in replacement for 1.9.3. YMMV.