Our platform (SightCall) provides realtime services like text chat,
video/audio and data messages.  We have a nice Ruby-on-Rails demo of a
group collaboration tool.  You could use this as a starting point to embed
these functions into your own web site.

https://github.com/sightcall/Communicator

cheers - T