I have my rails sites hosted by Bluehost. While they are in many ways an
ideal host for developers, they have one very major problem.

Their sysadmins periodically change the Rails installation without any
warning to users. The result of this is that the sites periodically
break - and we get no warning that this is going to happen. I don't
fault them for updating the installation - rails is pretty new
technology after all. By not letting us know what's happening, however,
our sites can go down without warning. The only way to determine whether
or not they've done something is to actually connect to the site and see
whether or not it is still working. I've complained to them about this
repeatedly ... their normal response is simply to ignore the complaint.

Is there some way to do an autocheck of the system to see if anything in
the rails installation / configuration has changed? If there is, I could
set this up as a cron job and do a manual check when I determined that
something had changed. This would also minimize the distortion of the
logs from the hits from my check.

Thanks in advance
---Michael