Rather than setting the <meta name="description" contents="xyzzy"> tag in
every webpage of my site, I decided to be clever and set a variable in each
controller with the text and
do:

on the layout instead. The problem is that the generated text has a no
quotes:

is what I end up with.

I've tried every variant of surrounding the text with quotes or using
variable interpolation in strings to try to make this work.

Either I end up with no text passed into the layout, or I get

Which may actually be correct, but just looks odd.

I've actually decided to add the meta tag the old fashioned way, but now
I'm curious as to why I can't make this work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe