I tried Rails development a couple of ways including Cygwin. It's too much
hassle. If you really want to do Ruby/Rails development, doing it on Linux
is the way to go. You are much better off installing Linux in VirtualBox or
another VM manager. I use Linux Mint 17.1 which makes it easy to use Linux.
Windows Hot keys work and the UI is very familiar.

As a fellow Windows guy, I understand any hesitation you might have about
switching to Linux. I can tell you from first hand experience Linux has
come a long, long way. I switched two years ago (about the time Windows 8
came out) and haven't looked back. I'm not a Windows hater or a Linux
fan-boy. I'm just pragmatic and use tools that work.

Respectfully,

Cody Skidmore