Walter, Stewart.... Many thanks to you.  Definitely making so much progress
here.

All seems to be going really well, but I remain stumped at a critical point

Given the model, I pass from the controller @parent = Parent.object

All of the field_for aspects are working really beautifully.  But in the
view I need to test for a parent/child value. I know that this code is
wrong:

<% unless @lenders.state_id_string.blank? %>   ## @lenders is the parent
model, and only the fields within that model are being returned.  I thought
that if I define all parent associations in the AR, then the object
@lenders would be aware..
                                                                        ##
I need to learn whether the parent with address value has state_id_string
blank?
                                                                        ##
I'm stuck.  How do I do this?
    <% display_state_id_string = 'inline' %>
    <% else %>
    <% display_state_id_string = 'none' %>
    <% end %>

Thanks,