One possibility:
<% test_news_last  = News.last %>
<% unless test_news_last .blank? %>
<%= render partial: 'news/news', locals: { news: News.last } %>.
<% else %>
message
<% end %>

Another, is that you do similar test in the partial itself

And, Colin is entirely correct that you should rename your models(.rb) to
singular, while table names are plural on your database.  Then model class
name should be singular as well, however proper case, replacing event of
"_" in model name with ommitted "_" and then first letter capitalized.
Another consideration is that primary keys should be 'id', while foreign
keys should be 'lower-case_singular model name'_id.  This will make a huge
difference if you attempt to use table associations.