"Level Up!" by Steven Talcott Smith is a great book for aspiring software
developers. Rails is the main example used in the book, since it is the
platform upon which the author crafted his own career. The book describes a
path to excellence in software development, describing skillets and
practices that are now the ideal model that most successful Rails shops are
using today.

https://leanpub.com/level_up

It changed my approach to learning and practicing software development,
with nearly immediate results.

Cheers,
Brent