> Your problem is that the openssl library installed on your system is too
> old.  Update that to the latest version and this problem should go away.

This was "interesting process" - I hate some distros ..., Suse 10.1 is
one of those

I updated Suse openssl using
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/x86_64/update/10.2/rpm/x86_64/
- openssl is about one year old, still same problem with 1.8.7-p72
- then I install also ruby and ruby-dev from suse site
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/x86_64/update/10.2/rpm/x86_64/
- it's 1.8.5, but my ssl.rb test works

I also tried openssl using source, but ruby making say something about
"use -fPIC flag compiling openssl .."
I was used ...

Now I have some working ruby + RoR environment, even little old. Maybe
this is enough for me to test RoR possibilities.
I tested also blog, using db postgreSql 8.3.5
- works fine, but encoding set not work ... active_record pg not use
database.yum encoding setting ?
- edited manually
  /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters
 utf8 -> latin1 and now it works ...

I think that if your pg instance has created latin1, then database
must be also latin1. Ex. sorting and indexing use instance character
set and locales
Ex. I have created using --locale=fi_FI --lc-collate=sv_SE
initdb -E LATIN1 --locale=fi_FI --lc-collate=sv_SE

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started_with_rails.htm
was the most helpful for me to create RoR env and first servers.

-jukka-