I think generally, rails is built for productivity, people sometimes
confuse this with it being easy to learn. It isn't, it's very large and
solve many different problems. It takes a lot of time to learn the
framework, but once you do, you can leverage a lot of the complexity to
build things very, very quickly. Colin's suggestion is very good, find a
gem that you use, learn it, read the source fully, then see how it can
improve or address issues as they come in.

taken. A lot of the bug fixes now are pretty extreme edge cases that
require a fair bit of understanding to every describe why it is a bug.

Colin's suggestion is very good. Find a gem you use, learn it, read the
entire source code, then address issues as they come
in. http://www.codetriage.com/ might help as well.

Best,